Greetings are a nonintrusive way to welcome and support visitors on your website. They show up above your minimized chat widget, encouraging visitors to talk to you, or guiding them through your website and products. You can choose a standard text greeting or play with rich greetings, which are more engaging and interactive.
Greetings allow you to be more proactive. They are an online version of approaching a customer in a physical store. They enable you to share announcements, introduce new products, and support your visitors when they browse through your website.
Create personalized messages, target the right audience, and catch your visitors’ attention to provide exquisite customer service.
Benefits of using greetings
- Get more chats - engage more visitors with personalized and engaging chat invitations.
- Improve visitors’ experience - use greetings to guide your visitors through your website or onboard new customers.
- Increase customer satisfaction - build meaningful customer relationships thanks to proactive and engaging customer service.
- Turn visitors into customers - according to our report, visitors invited to chat are 6.3 times more likely to convert into customers than the ones who don’t chat; 61% of those customers convert within the first chat.
- Sell more - engage with more visitors, increasing chances to sell, and improving customer acquisition.
- Improve conversion rates - use buttons in rich greetings to increase the number of visitors that complete your desired action: invite people to download a guide, sign up for a newsletter, or schedule a call.
Types of greetings
Standard text greeting
Welcome your visitors with a simple message, a question, or a call-to-action. Create personalized text greetings based on your visitors’ behavior. A perfect way to send a subtle invitation to chat.
Rich greetings are more engaging and interactive. It’s a fun way to start a conversation or invite your visitors to take specific actions.
Quick replies are greetings with ready-made answers for your customers. They make your chat invitation more engaging and user-friendly.
Ask a question, and define replies that can be selected by users. A perfect way to start a conversation on a specific topic. Use them for scheduling, surveying, and shaping the conversation.
Cards give you endless possibilities to communicate with your visitors. You can mix and match: text, images, buttons. You don’t have to use all of the elements. Choose the ones that suit your message and get creative.
The biggest asset of Cards are buttons, that allow you to interact with users straight from the greeting. You can combine different types of buttons to create greetings with various action points for your customers.
There are four types of buttons you can choose from:
- Send message - a button with a predefined message for your customer to send via chat.
- Open URL - a button linking to a specific page or resource.
- Phone call - a button allowing visitors to call a given number directly from the chat.
- Open moment - a button showing web applications inside the greeting, letting customers perform specific actions like paying, scheduling meetings, or booking seats. Read more about Moments on our developers’ platform.
Message input is an element you can add to every type of greeting, which allows the customer to start a chat by sending a message.
How greetings are displayed
The way your greetings are displayed depends on which type of the minimized chat widget you use. You can switch between a bar or a bubble (Settings → Chat widget → Customization →Appearance).
- If you use a bar, greetings are displayed as an open chat widget
- If you use a bubble, greetings show a picture of an agent with a message above it
Target the right audience with greeting conditions
You can set up different types of greetings, depending on users’ behavior, traffic source, and traffic patterns. Choose conditions that have to be met for the greeting to show up, and target the right audience with the right message.
Types of greeting conditions:
- Current page URL - greeting is sent when a visitor lands on a page specified in the condition
- Customer’s location - greeting is sent to visitors from a specified country or city
- Customer’s browsing time - greeting is sent depending on the time visitors spent on a given page
- Number of viewed pages - greeting is sent when a visitor viewed a specified number of pages
- Referring website address - greeting is sent to visitors coming from a specified URL
- Pages visited in the exact order - greeting is sent to visitors who follow a specified path on your website
- Any page from session - greeting is sent when any page URL from a visitor’s session contains specified strings
- Custom variable - based on custom parameters
To enable ‘Multiple greetings per session’ go to Settings → Engagement → Greetings and click the ‘Mutliple greetings per session’ toggle in the top right corner.
Create and edit greetings
It’s fun and easy! Just follow these simple steps:
To create a new greeting
- Go to the Settings → Engagement → Greetings, and click on Create new greeting.
- Choose the type of greeting: Plain text / Quick replies / Card.
- Click on Edit and create your greeting in the greeting editor. Depending on the type of greeting, you can change text, and add buttons or images as well as the message input field.
- When you’re done, click on Apply. You will see a preview of your greeting in the sidebar on the right-hand side.
- Choose who will see the greeting: all visitors, first-time visitors, or only returning visitors.
- Decide when to display the greeting. Set appropriate time delay according to the situation and users’ behavior. Take advantage of the Google Analytics integration to understand when is the best time to display greetings.
- Decide if you want the greeting to be triggered when all conditions are met (ALL operator - ‘match all of these conditions’), or at least one of the conditions (OR operator - ‘match one of these conditions’).
- Click on +Add condition, choose the type of condition using the dropdown menu, and set the condition parameters. You can add as many conditions as you want.
- Now, you can ‘Set greeting live’ or ‘Save and close’ and come back to it later.
To change the name of a greeting
- Go to the Settings → Engagement → Greetings.
- Click on the greeting you want to edit.
- Click on the pencil icon next to the greeting’s name in the top left corner.
- Enter the new name and click on Change name.
- To finalize the changes click on Save and close.
To turn greetings on/off
1. Go to the Settings → Engagement → Greetings.
- Flip the switch in the Status column:
- The switch is greyed out - the greeting is off.
- The switch is highlighted in green - the greeting is on.
To delete a greeting
- Go to the Settings → Engagement → Greetings.
- Click on the greeting you want to delete.
- Click on Delete greeting in the bottom right corner.
- Confirm, by clicking on Delete greeting in the pop-up window.
Analyze your greetings’ performance
Experiment with different types of greetings and check their performance in Settings → Engagement → Greetings. You can see how many times a greeting was displayed, how many chats it brought, and check its conversion rate.
Data from the last 7 days is neatly presented in the table and you can compare greetings’ performance easily. To view detailed data from a specified time period, click on View report.
Set up various greetings for the same conditions, and test one greeting type each month. After the test period, you will see the most effective ways to engage certain groups of customers.
You can also use the integration with Google Analytics to track the number of greetings displayed to your visitors, as well as the number of clicks on buttons in rich greetings. Each event contains the button ID and content, so that you can track the performance of particular buttons.
The difference between greetings and welcome messages
Your welcome message can be set up in the Settings → Chat window → Language. It’s an automatic message sent to customers when they start the chat on their own, by clicking on a chat bar or a button. You can set up only one welcome message, however, it can be personalized for different groups.
Greetings are more proactive. You don’t have to wait for customers to start a chat. Thanks to greetings, you can start the conversation yourself. Greetings can be personalized to show up in particular situations when visitors perform actions predefined in greetings’ conditions. You can invite visitors to chat, or send greetings displaying messages and actionable buttons, depending on a situation. Create as many greetings as you want and engage visitors on your website!